Friday, April 10, 2009

Sinclair and Baudelaire

Leaving for Strasbourg in Alsace in 6 hours... still have to pack (and by that, I mean throw stuff in my backpack).  The massive amount of homework that is being pelted at this study abroad group is disheartening and I have to constantly remind myself that it is indeed the reason I came on this trip.  I did not come to be a tourist--as did few chosen members of the group--I came to conquer the french language and nuances of culture.  I have to say, it is rather difficult--not that I thought it would be easy--it's just that the french are remarkably private and not open to foreigners.  

This comment does not refer to my host family in the slightest who have treated me as though I have been here for months...  My host mom, as I have stated previously, is PHENOMENAL!!! Today, before leaving for a quick vacation, she gave me a beautiful bag of Easter chocolates! Not to mention the other day when she arrived at home around 5 (our tea time break) and mentioned that she had a surprise.  The woman had gone to a patisserie and picked up these tantalizing apple crisp/tarte/somethings for us to have with tea... just us two.  I discovered that afternoon, after chatting about heaven-only-knows what interesting topic, that  when I have run out of time in my day, it is because I have been talking with her for the last 2 hours.  Not a problem I am disappointed to have.  Quite the opposite. We end the conversation and I go back to my room to do homework and wonder, "what just happened? what on e
arth did we talk about for 2 hours??" Somehow there is a twilight zone where our conversations are lost in translation in my brain's memory bank and don't quite make it to the long term department.  

On a completely different note, today I found the bookstore "Shakespeare and Co" across from Notre Dame.  This charming find is surrounded by tourist stands, little old men selling antique magazines from carts, antique bookstores, and don't forget the cafés! I bought a 1945 copy of Sinclair for 10 euros and a modern copy of Baudelaire's comments on the different effects of hasheesh and wine on the artist. Just thought that everyone in my immediate group back home would appreciate it (Owen, Anna, Kristin, Kelly).  I do not credit myself with finding this hotspot, knowing full-well that it is now a bit of a tourist joint (thank you Sex and the City), but do feel privileged to have experienced its quaintness. 

As for Baudelaire, I love his work for its fluidity and imagery, but I have to say, it is by no means the most uplifting thing to be reading in Spring in Paris.  Quite depressing really, but nonetheless, very powerful and impressive.

As for class and massive amounts of work, scheduling goes like this:
Mon 9-12 language
Lunch
some afternoon excursion/class
5p/6p Tea
9:30p dinner
10:30-12 homework

Tues 9-12 language
Lunch
2:30-6 Culture (City and Text) in english
6p tea/homework
9:30 dinner
etc

Wed no AM class (errands/homework/exploring)
Lunch
2p-4p Civilization in french
6p
9:30 dinner
homework etc

Thurs 9-12 language
lunch
1:20/2-6p ART in english at a museum (ex Louvre, D'Orsay, etc)
7p tea
9:30 dinner
homework

Friday no AM language
lunch
1:30/2-6 ART in english (see above)
Dinner etc
IF NO FRIDAY ART CLASS--LEAVE FOR LONG WEEKEND TRIP

Weekends free except for planned excursions and necessary last minute visits to museums and the like.



No comments:

Post a Comment