Tuesday, March 31, 2009

FINALLY FRENCH... or at least in France

So I am finally here. Paris. All that waiting, and finalement! j'y arrive!  Well actually, I arrived on Sunday night around 4:30 but for all intents and purposes... 
I was supposed to have read Balzac's <> on the plane, all 170 pages of the assignment, but alas, I slept instead. That book makes for a great sedative.  I didn't even get to drink the free wine on the plane because I was trying to be "good" and do my homework. Boo. Well I'll be sure to make up for that mistake on the way back.
When I disembarked from the plane I found that I was a good bit nervous about being alone and having to communicate in french.  I stood awkwardly in the lobby of the airport with my 2 suitcases and 2 carry-ons, regretting that I brought so much, and attempting to hide my Study Abroad Paris book while trying to figure out where to catch a cab.  When I finally managed to find the line, shuffle into a cab and give the address to where I was to go, I began journalling immediately, taking little time to look around. I was thoroughly amused by the Mariah Carey song playing in the background and almost forgot where I really was. I glanced out of the window expecting the boring new facades of the Midwestern style suburbs, and found instead the antique homes of the parisian suburbs, charming with their tile roofs.  What intrigued me most, however, where all the gang graffiti tags on these classy, adorable homes.  It definitely added some extra color...
I arrived at my homestay in no time at all.  I live in this delightfully french apartment building very near the Alliance Francaise, in the 6eme. For those of you that know Paris, you know that it is quite the chic place to be, very much like Lincoln Park or the Gold Coast. There are many kids of all ages around, though mostly high school and college ages, which makes for very interesting people watching. 
Anyway, I arrived chez moi pour le premier fois and met my host mom. What a lady. Just the cutest little french woman you have ever met... who will not, by the way, stop feeding me... not that I'm complaining.  I am not sure what her husband does, but he most do something very lucrative to have this place. There is the typical tiny french bathroom and kitchen, but the bedrooms are rather cozy and there is a large, gorgeously decorated living room with windows that look out onto la Rue BREA.  My room is rather cozy with the exception that the whole apartment turns freezing at night because the heat is broken. I really don't mind though, and it is not bothersome enough for me to take Mme up on her offer of the space-heater. 
The night I arrived happened to be the youngest daughter's birthday (they have 3 daughters none of whom live at the apt).  Two of the girls and the youngest one's boyfriend (very cute btw) were visiting for the occasion and my first french meal was that of AMAZING french birthday cake and tarte aux pommes (apples).  
We hung out for a while, attempted to watch a movie until the TV broke, then ate dinner, after which I went to bed.... dreaming in french.

C'est la vie. 

2 comments: