Thursday, November 4, 2010

Pessimism is contagious

Like most mothers, or parents in general, my mother has a list of sayings that she keeps at the forefront of her conscious mind at all times, dormant but itching to be consulted at any moment when there is need for a bit of enlightenment. This infamous list embodies the timeless classics "This too shall pass" and "Live life to the fullest," but I find that the ones that pack the fullest punch are those which have a bit of bite to them. Such quotes remind you of your own faults, catch you in your own traps, and ultimately keep you grounded.  Parents are there to lift you up, but they would be doing you an injustice if they didn't knock you off your high horse every so often to discipline you in the ways of humility.  Reading this, I'm certain that my mother and mothers the world around are beaming with self-contented satisfaction, but I'm sure I speak for more than a few Twenty-Somethings when I say that all those tedious sayings have by now burned a list in our own minds and, whether consciously consulted or not, make themselves heard.

The truism which has grown from a whisper to an emphatic nagging is none other than: "Pessimism is contagious" (perhaps followed by "No one likes a pessimist").  I found myself falling into the pessimistic and critical spirit of, I dare say, the French. To their defense, such a statement embodies the true spirit of a rampant stereotype; not all french are cynical, but judging from my experience, I can attest to the fact that very often, the French (and subsequently myself) do not acknowledge just how good they have it. It is always easier to criticize and emphasize faults than to appreciate prosperity.  Perhaps we feel that we sound more intellectual or sophisticated.  Whatever the reasoning, pessimism nevertheless becomes an unshakeable cold, making its home in the deepest roots of emotion and logic, and spreading to others as a contagious plague of negative energy.

Recently, I found myself falling into the trap, the pit of negativity. It began with a bout of homesickness and mild loneliness which always comes with moving to a new place, but I allowed it to fester for a month or so, permitting it to flow through my thoughts and words like a french scooter in heavy traffic.  I found faults with my apartment, despite the fact that it is exceptionally "securisé," and complete with laundry in the building for an insanely cheap rate, exercise machines, and a stunning view of the mountains that serve as one of Toulon's best-selling features.  I am in walking distance of the daily Provençal market, the mall and most-frequented grocery, and an SNCF (train) "boutique" which saves me from having to walk to the train station every time I need to plan and trip or change my tickets.  The lively port is steps away and transportation home late in the evening is not a problem because I can walk to most everything.  Sure, it is a bit ridiculous that, in a town of sailors and students, the bus stops running at 9pm and the "night bus" literally stops when morning picks up (12am), but there I go again....

Nothing is perfect, and if it was, it would not be interesting.

5 comments:

  1. You are right ! nothing is perfect ....
    I like what you have written... It's thrue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci Patou! Et merci pour tout ton aide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The description of your apartment sounds great! I'm sure it has it's faults (don't they all?) but ultimately it's wonderful. Last year I had a beautiful apartment to share with two other assistantes, but the walls were paper-thin (so we heard our neighbors faissent d'amour toujours), it was always chilly in the rooms (we didn't have to chill our white and rose wines in the fridge!), and it was a tiny bit longer to walk to the buses than I would have liked (good excercise), but there are benefits to all these things... except the thin walls, there's no redeeming factor there! lol
    Anyway, you're in France and it's beautiful and sunny and you have all of Europe at your fingertips! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Emily, that DOES sound interesting. Well perhaps you learned some fun vocab? Perhaps not so much; I hope the walls were not so thin that words were audible... In any case, I am in agreement with the part about the sun and the having Europe at the fingertips. Heaven only knows when I will have the chance to be back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately our neighbors were British, so it was mostly just disturbing...

    ReplyDelete