Wednesday, March 24, 2010

High schoolers in springtime; they're "twitterpated"


Spring is upon us here in Lorgues, and with every walk through the high school courtyard, I am reminded of that scene from Disney's "Bambi" when all the animals are in love and cudoodling.  They're "twitterpated" as the old grouchy owl explains it.  However unlike the old owl, I find myself strangely unaffected by such excessive public displays of affection.  These loving couples in mid-kiss appear to be simple extensions of the high school building's architecture when you pass by them every five feet.  I have asked myself if perhaps my apathy is born of bitterness and jealousy at not being among this congregation of happily entwined young lovers.  My romantic interest is, after all, halfway across the world, making any semblance of physical embrace a complete impossibility.  Perhaps a small portion of my dispassion stems from resentment, but I feel that the real causes are rooted elsewhere.  It is possible that I have grown desensitized to the openness of affection that is so customary in french culture.  I no longer feel the shock and repulsion I felt when walking the streets of Paris last spring. And while I continue to view such public fondling as inappropriately timed and placed, it has effectively become an element of everyday life.

In any case, it was not so long ago that I was in their shoes.  It is the beginning of that age when innocence is fleeting and when raging hormones and emotions may not always make for the best of situations, yet never fail to produce entertaining results.  Everything is the end of the world, or the beginning of a new one.  When walking through the halls of Lycée Lorgues, I often wonder if my high schools halls were as full of such amorous spectacle.  Somehow, I doubt that I was as as enthused by public displays of affection, even back then, but I do find myself far more reserved now when giving hugs and being within the personal space of others.  I find that such a loss of conviviality is rather unfortunate, being as I rather enjoyed the option of being cozy in the presence of random friends.

Nonetheless, twitterpated teenagers are a perfect sign of spring, especially when surrounded by tweeting birds and jovial squirrels.... a sight to see, for sure.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting.... something to contemplate for sure.... and yes, I am halfway across the world. (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vaness'
    c'est toujours avec impatience que j'attends tes récits sur ton blog. C'est un plaisir de te lire, j'aime ta façon d'écrire, de décrire... de dire la vie et ce que tu en penses.

    ReplyDelete