Tuesday, June 9, 2009

"Prego!" not the sauce


As I discovered in Venice, "Prego" is not only the pasta sauce, but rather the response to "thank you" (also used in the context of "may I help you?" in a store). 
Another discovery: Italian is a just combination of Spanish and English, and can be partially determined from French.  Smiles, hand gestures, and bad attempts at pronouncing phonetically written phrases also help.
Yet another discovery: I need to be by water to be tranquil and content in life.  I had the realization while riding the Venice water trollies that I am happiest when near bodies of water: Lake Michigan, the Seine in Paris, the Rhone in Lyon, the canals of Venice... I am drawn to them as though I embody that ancient tool the "Y" stick (interesting mental image...hm), eagerly seeking refreshment in the brisk air and sea spray.  Anyone that knew me in my youth can attest to the fact that as a child, I never found it even the slightest bit difficult to spend all day swimming. I was indeed convinced that I was a mermaid. Yes, a mermaid (Ok, in a former life, perhaps).  As an adult, I am still convinced that I embody remnants of that dream, to be constantly near the water feeling it lulling motion, toujours changeant et fugitive.  

And still another discovery: After all my years spent obsessed with France and french culture, I found that I felt the most at home in Italy.  Perhaps it is because they are so jovial and welcoming, (or conversely perhaps because I had no class distract me with stress), but in any event, I was reminded that all stereotypes are rooted in truth: the french are indeed more private and isolated, while the italians are more laid-back.  This is not to say that I am going to up and abandon french (I prefer the sound of french to that of italian), just that my image of the ideal foreign husband would be a man that speaks Italian, french, and english, lives in Italy, but has family in france (this is inspired from a real-life individual).   Best of all worlds, really, for all those girlfriends of mine that share my desire to marry a foreigner and live abroad.  This is a long time down the road, of course, and a girl has to plan ahead if she doesn't want the carriage to turn into a pumpkin at the last minute. Haha. 




No comments:

Post a Comment