Saturday, May 16, 2009

cliché advice, but like all clichés, it is founded in truth

Continuing with the theme of self-analyzation... I was reminded that judging a person on only a few shared experiences, or interactions based in only one subject, is no way to judge who they are or where their talents lie.  "Never judge a book by its cover."  It cliché, while old and over-used, is nevertheless true.  

I always knew that a few people on this adventure with me were very particular--very interesting characters.  I didn't really choose to spend my time with them, simply making that choice from the few experiences we shared and the limited spans of time we had spent together on group excursions.  It is said that first impressions are crucial and tell a great deal about a person---while this is true, it is important to remember that it is still just one impression, one instance.  I found out that the lone traveler, homebody, non-drinker, over-the-top student has two tattoos and is not against drinking or other substances, but rather wants each experience to happen in its "perfect moment" and is waiting for the right ones.  I discovered that the soft-spoken, sweet, yet sometimes-struggling-with-french student is an avid reader of difficult English literature and has the most incredible fiery desire to bring her passion to students in low-income schools.  The other day, I found out that the person I thought was the most calm and naive of the group is about 10 fold as daring as I am, but simply does a good job of hiding it from all the others. 

That is all to say that when clichés are presented, they may be overused, but they are always founded in truth, and thus should be taken seriously.   

No comments:

Post a Comment